I am not sure who sent this advise to me, but I had to pay it forward and share with you all. Love it and try to live by it each and every day! Enjoy!
- Being attuned to someone means being present for them. To do so, when he or she is speaking with you, do not be distracted by anything else (e.g. texts or cell phones).
- You do not have to see something exactly as someone else does in order to "get" their point of view. All you have to do is acknowledge their feelings.
- Do not rush in with a solution to a problem. Often, people just need to express their feelings as this can be comforting enough.
- Words are not necessary for someone to feel your sense of being there. Your mere physical presence or a slight reassuring physical gesture may be all that is needed especially in times of difficulty.
- When you are listening to someone, make eye contact. Since the frontal cortex is behind the eyes, this will help to feel a sense of connection. Even if the person is not looking at you at the moment, by you maintaining your gaze, you are "there" should the person look up to you.
- If you are not sure what the person wants, ask: "In what way can I be most helpful to you?"
- If the person asks for a favor to be done, do it in the manner in which it is asked regardless of whether you agree with it or not.
- When you are checking in on someone, do so without any other message attached as another message waters down your concern.
- Always make sure to let those who are important to you to know it - one never knows when the time will come when you will no longer have that opportunity.